House of Parliament [X 1996], Gravenstraat 2-4
Rotary 's-Gravenhage Zuid
have adopted this page
The House of Parliament at Gravenstraat 2-4 was built in the beginning of the 18th century and has undergone a lot of changes.
The whole building was constructed on a basement. The main floor was constructed in brick, the second in wood. Iron anchors were fixed in the façade. A large dormer was fitted in the front of the steep roof. In the rear the dormer was even larger as it covered the full width of the house.
The building burned down in 1996. The spot still lays barren, except for the semi-oval brick front steps and a part of the basement.
The building was used for different purposes. Before it became the House of Parliament in the beginning of the 20th century, it was at one time the office of the West-Indian Company. It was also the residence of Nicolaes Combé, the man after whom the Combé borough was named, the first suburb of the city, construction of which started in 1728.