Coronie district

Coronie has the image of a forgotten district that one passes through rapidly on ones way to Nickerie. In the beginning of the 19th century it were mainly British planters who settled here. Names like Totness, Mary's Hope, Friendship en Burnside remind us of that time. Today (2010) not very much of this past is left to be seen, except for along the East-West main road where some quaint buildings can be found. The church of Mary Immaculate and its rectory at Mary’s Hope and the State guest house in Totness are the most prominent buildings.

Coronie - Mary's Hope, kerk Maria Onbevlekt OntvangenChurch at Mary's HopeCoronie - Totness, StaatslogeergebouwState guest house Totness

Contrary to other parts of Suriname the plantations in Coronie were set up directly next to the sea. The transport of produce of the plantations took place via canals with sluices straight to the open sea. This caused the area to be quite isolated until the East-West main road was constructed. Many buildings rest on short pillars, probably because the bulk of the plantations were flooded every now and then.

Coronie - Totness, sluisSluice in Totness

Although there are signs of repair, most buildings in this poor district are in a deplorable state most of the time, probably since painting and replacement of parts is started far too late.

Coronie - Mary's Hope, kerk Maria Onbevlekt Ontvangen Coronie - Mary's Hope, Interieur kerk Maria Onbevlekt Ontvangen Coronie - Mary's Hope, Huis RK complex Coronie - Plantagehuis Coronie - Kerk EBG Coronie - Kerkje EBG Coronie - Jeugdgebouw (2009) Coronie - Totness, Staatslogeergebouw Coronie - Totness, Cultureel Centrum Coronie - Totness, woonhuis Coronie - Totness, sluis Coronie - Friendship, Woning distriktscommissaris  

The old days

Coronie - Mary s Hope.jpg Coronie - Plantage Leasowes (1928).jpg Coronie - Erf.jpg

copyright © 2017 | add to favorites | disclaimer | Laatste update: 29/07/2014 14:52