Around 1750 the Zwartenhovenbrugstraat was the western boundary of the city. In the earlier extension of the Maagdenstraat and Domineestraat area many buildings were already of far less stature than the ones in the older parts. With the Zwartenhovenbrugstraat the border was set for the typical Surinamese wooden architecture. After 1750 extensions would be concentrating on houses for not so well to do people and for the freed slaves who came to the city.
The first section of the Zwartenhovenbrugstraat has two interesting buildings: the police office at #35 and Ston oso (Stone House) at #88. But of Ston oso the upper floor has already collpsed as we write 2007 and there is not much hope for restauration, or rather reconstruction.
Further from the centre there are some buildings in their original state, e.g. a large school.