Lima, city, capital of Peru. It is the country’s commercial and industrial centre. Central Lima is located at an elevation of 512 feet (156 metres) on the south bank of the Rímac River, about 8 miles (13 km) inland from the Pacific Ocean port of Callao, and has an area of 27 square miles (70 square km).
What is the major cities of Peru?
What are Peru’s major cities and what is the capital city?
The population figures are from 2015.
- Lima. Population: 9.9 million. Region: Lima and Constitutional Province of Callao. …
- Arequipa. Population: 869,400. …
- Trujillo. Population: 799,600. …
- Chiclayo. Population: 600,400. …
- Piura. Population – 436,400. …
- Iquitos. Population – 437,400. …
- Cusco. Population – 427,200. …
- Chimbote. Population – 371,000.
How many major cities does Peru have?
Peru has 1 cities with more than a million people, 21 cities with between 100,000 and 1 million people, and 121 cities with between 10,000 and 100,000 people. The largest city in Peru is Lima, with a population of 7,737,002 people.
Is Lima Peru rich or poor?
Areas with a high development index, such as Lima, Moquegua and Ica, enjoy relatively low poverty as a result of economic opportunity. Peru is one of the countries in the world that has seen the fastest reduction of poverty, partly due to sound economic policy and growth.