The Amazon River basin has an area of almost 7 million square kilometers (2.7 million square miles), making it the largest watershed in the world. The basin, which covers most of northern South America, is fed by tributaries from the glaciers of the Andes.
What are the two best known features of South America?
The main two physical features of South America are the Andes Mountains and the Amazon River.
What is the most part of South America?
South America (mainland)
- Northernmost point: Punta Gallinas, Colombia ( 12°27′31″N 71°40′8″W)
- Southernmost point: Cape Froward, Chile ( 53°53′47″S 71°17′40″W)
- Westernmost point: Punta Pariñas, Peru ( 4°40′58″S 81°19′43″W)
- Easternmost point: Ponta do Seixas, Brazil ( 7°9′19″S 34°47′35″W)
What is South America known for?
These fun facts about South America will give you a glimpse into a continent steeped in natural beauty and culture
- #1 The world’s second-largest swimming pool.
- #2 No doorbells in Paraguay.
- #3 The world’s longest mountain range.
- #4 The world’s largest salt flat.
- #5 12 countries but hundreds of languages.
Which South American country is the most beautiful?
The most beautiful countries of South America
- Chile. The longest noodle in the world. …
- Bolivia. Indian heart of South America. …
- Peru. South American beauty. …
- Brazil. State of Carnival, Football and the Amazon Forest. …
- Argentina. Hot tango and juicy steaks. …
- Venezuela. Country full of table mountains and Orinoco. …
- Ecuador. …
Why South America is called the land of extreme?
In geographic terms, it has some of the hottest, driest deserts in the world (the Atacama and Sonoran deserts) while having the largest rain-forest in the world (the Amazon).
What is the most southern part of South America?
Cape Horn is the southernmost headland of the Tierra del Fuego archipelago of southern Chile, and is located on the small Hornos Island.
|Subregion||Antártica Chilena Province|
Which country has the longest river in South America?
Rivers in South America by Length
|1||Amazon-Ucayali-Tambo-Ene-Apurimac||Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Guyana|
|2||Parana-Rio de la Plata||Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, Uruguay|
|4||Madeira-Mamore-Grande-Caine-Rocha||Brazil, Bolivia, Peru|