The conquest and colonial rule were traumatic experiences for the indigenous peoples in Bolivia. Easily susceptible to European diseases, the native population decreased rapidly. However, the resistance of indigenous people of the Bolivian lowlands managed to delay the conquest and settlement of their lands.
Why did Spain colonize Bolivia?
The Spaniards were interested primarily in the silver mines discovered in the area and exploited the region and its inhabitants mercilessly, forcing them to work as slaves to extract massive amounts of minerals for export to Spain over the next 300 years.
Who was Bolivia conquered by?
Soon after the Spanish conquest of the Inca empire in the early 16th century, much of the Indian population of Bolivia was forced to labour in mines established by the Spaniards.
What historical events happened in Bolivia?
- 1825-08-06 Bolivia gains independence from Peru (National Day)
- 1836-11-11 Chile declares war on Bolivia & Peru.
- 1839-01-20 Battle of Yungay, Chile defeats a Peruvian and Bolivian alliance.
- 1879-03-23 War of the Pacific fought between Chile and the joints forces of Bolivia and Peru.
Who lived in Bolivia first?
Prior to the Spanish conquest, the Andean province of Qullasuyu was a part of the Inca empire, while the northern and eastern lowlands were inhabited by independent nomadic tribes. Spanish conquistadors, arriving from Cuzco and Asunción took control of the region in the 16th century.
Who is the most famous person in Bolivia?
Famous people from Bolivia
- Evo Morales. Politician. …
- Marcelo Martins Moreno. Soccer. …
- Andrés de Santa Cruz. Politician. …
- Jaime Moreno. Soccer. …
- Cornelio Saavedra. Politician. …
- Verona Pooth. Presenter. …
- Marco Etcheverry. Soccer Midfielder. …
- Víctor Paz Estenssoro. Politician.
When did the economy in Bolivia start to get better?
The Bolivian economy grew rapidly between 1960 and 1977. According to one study, “persistent deficits and a fixed exchange rate policy during the 1970s led to a debt crisis that began in 1977.
What is the most important date in history?
June 6, 1944, The Most Important Date In History.