The ‘Jewel of the Pacific,’ as Valparaíso is known, is also home to Chile’s legislative Congress and the headquarters of the Chilean navy. Admire these historic buildings and soak up the country’s maritime history!
What is special about Valparaiso Chile?
Known as Valpo, Valparaíso is Chile’s second largest city, located 1.5 hours north of Santiago on the Pacific coast. A historical city nestled in the hills, Valpo is the heart of Chile’s bohemian culture. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2003, Valpo is a special place with historical significance.
Is Valparaiso Chile worth visiting?
Visiting Valpo is a great, easy way to experience Chilean culture and create unique memories. If you’re stopping through Santiago, it’s definitely worth planning a day or two to explore the funky walkways and steep hills of this interesting port town.
What can you find in Valparaiso?
Top Attractions in Valparaiso
- La Sebastiana. 5,026. Speciality Museums. …
- Cerro Concepcion. 1,923. Points of Interest & Landmarks. …
- Paseo Gervasoni. 788. Historic Walking Areas. …
- Cerro Alegre. 279. Neighborhoods. …
- Ascensor Reina Victoria. 1,258. …
- Ascensor El Peral. 556. …
- Ascensor Artilleria. 988. …
- Museo de Historia Natural de Valparaiso. 218.
What do you wear in Valparaiso Chile?
Make sure you include these items in your summer Chile packing list:
- Casual denim or khaki shorts.
- Fashionable shorts and skirts.
- Activewear bottoms, like jogging shorts or leggings.
- Basic t-shirts and tank tops.
- Baseball hat or other for sun protection.
- Simple summer dresses.
- Pair of jeans.
- Light layering jacket, like denim.
Is it safe to visit Valparaiso Chile?
Are there places to avoid in Chile? Not really. You’ll want to be more vigilant in the busier areas of cities like Santiago and Valparaiso, where petty theft and tourist scams are more likely to occur. There is no reason to avoid these places — just keep your guard up and your possessions secure.
How do you pronounce Valparaiso Chile?
Spanish Val·pa·ra·í·so [bahl-pah-rah-ee-saw]. a seaport in central Chile.