The name is derived from the Latin argentum (silver). The first use of the name Argentina can be traced to the voyages of the Spanish conquerors to the Río de la Plata. The explorers who shipwrecked in Juan Díaz de Solís’ expedition found native communities in the region who gave them silver presents.
What does Argentina stand for?
Argentina (a Spanish adjective meaning “silvery”), traditionally called the Argentine in English, is ultimately derived from the Latin argentum “silver” and the feminine of the adjectival suffix -īnus. The Latin “argentum” has its origin from the ancient Greek-Hellenic word “argyro(s)”, άργυρο(ς) meaning silver.
What are people from Argentina called?
Argentines (also known as Argentinians or Argentineans; Spanish: femenine argentinas; masculine argentinos) are people identified with the country of Argentina.
What are 5 facts about Argentina?
21 Amazing Facts About Argentina
- Argentina produced the world’s first animated feature film in 1917. …
- Yerba Mate is the most popular drink in Argentina. …
- Argentina is home to both the highest and lowest points of the Southern Hemisphere. …
- The capital of Argentina Buenos Aires translates to the ‘good airs’ or ‘fair winds’
Who is a famous person in Argentina?
1. Eva Peron (1919 – 1952) Maria Eva Duarte de Peron was an icon in Argentina well before the film Evita catapulted her into the mainstream international spotlight. The life story of one of Argentina’s most popular First Lady has captured the imagination of the world.
What is slang called in Argentina?
The slang in Buenos Aires is called Lunfardo, spoken here in the city and surrounding areas. It’s unlike anything you’ve heard elsewhere and that includes the rest of Argentina. It stems from the large influx of immigrants flowing into the Buenos Aires ports in the mid-19th century.
Is Uruguay similar to Argentina?
Both countries share the same language, culture and ethnicity and their populations bear striking similarities; the historical origins of both nations is common (part of the Viceroyalty of the River Plate, Spanish Empire); both countries are members of MERCOSUR, there is no need for special migration documents, and …
Who is richer Mexico or Argentina?
Mexico with a GDP of $1.2T ranked the 15th largest economy in the world, while Argentina ranked 25th with $519.9B.
Gross Domestic Product & Income.
|GDP per capita||$12k||$9.7k|
|GDP per capita growth||-3.47%||0.99%|