Lutheran Church, Waterkant 102
The first Lutheran minister arrived in Suriname in 1742. As soon as 1747 an own church was inaugurated on the very spot of the present Lutheran church. Parts of this brick building were gradually replaced by timber. That church and its annexes were consumed by flames in 1832. In 1834 the present church was inaugurated and a year later it was visited by the Dutch Prince Willem Frederik Hendrik.
The church is raised in plastered brick. The main entrance slightly protrudes from the façade and is crowned by a pediment with an octagonal window. Baked shingles cover the slightly folded mansard roof. Three aisles run in the width and are separated by 6 Doric pillars.
The white interior is in handsome contrast with the dark colours of the mahogany wood of the pulpit, the organ and the balcony at the south end of the church.