How do you say hello in First Nations?
Below are some greetings in Treaty 7 Indigenous Languages to help you get started:
- Blackfoot Greeting. Oki, Tsa niita’pii? – …
- Tsuut’ina Nation (Dene) Danit’ada – Hello, how are you?
- Cree. Tansi or Dansi – Hello, how are you?
- Saulteaux. Aaniin? …
- Metis (Michif) Taanishi- Hello.
- Inuit. Ullaakuut- Good Morning.
How many Native American languages have been lost?
Native languages have been in decline for decades; currently Ethnologue lists 245 indigenous languages in the United States, with 65 already extinct and 75 near extinction with only a few elder speakers left. This is why the Native American Languages Act and the Esther Martinez Act are so important.